Sunday 17 January 2016

When Page and Screen Collide

                                                                Picture Source

            Hello. This is Jackson Ossea. 

Like most of my classmates, I’m also a bibliophile with the professional ambition of becoming a librarian. It wasn’t a career I initially had in mind when I was completing my undergrad in Film Studies, but I soon discovered that it would be the best place for where my then current knowledge could best compliment the skillset I could obtain as a Master of Information student.

            This wasn’t a decision which came from hours of hemming and hawing over what to do with a film degree if I couldn’t get a job in the industry but from the choice to expand my horizons, and to discern which career would be the most rewarding through the development of new and malleable skills. It led me to discovering the principles of Library and Information Science (LIS) and the increasingly growing – if at times controversial – academic field of digital humanities. I was fascinated by how this discipline could act as a bridge between the traditionalists who would not accept anything which isn’t on paper and those who are much keener to embrace digital technologies within academia.

            I aim to continue pursuing my curiosities and academic ambitions through this course, The Future of the Book. I don’t think that I’ve ever taken the Ray Bradbury position of a Luddite when it comes to the presence of digital technology, but I certainly used to be sceptical of e-readers and the fissure they have created amongst readers – challenging how many of us will read literature in the future. I believed that the only way in which I could properly absorb a book was in its traditional paper form with the physical touching of the pages and the object being properly bound together with its spine. These ideas came to me after my frustrating attempts to read e-books on my laptop, especially the books which were made available through Google Books and Project Gutenberg such as Oliver Twist and The Pilgrim’s Process which were made available in their entirety for free because they had fallen out of copyright. Finding that  reading e-books was causing more headaches than anything else, I became dumbfounded as to how this format had found so many vocal defenders in academic and commercial circles.

            I’ve now had my e-reader – a Kobo Aura – for more than a year now and it’s turned out to be my favourite gizmo. I haven’t abandoned the hardcover and paperback books which populate the shelves of my bedroom and basement, I now read many more novels and academic texts digitally than I did before and I don’t think that practice is likely to change. My device changed the way in which I experience books, by allowing me that insight that the form of the object was not necessarily the most relevant aspect of how I gained access to information and narratives.


            Still, I don’t think that my new(er) position is by any means permanent. I look forward to the debates which will take place between my peers over what will become of the objects which made us want to become librarians in the first place, as well as the more pragmatic part of the course which will further develop my skillset as a future professional. I have no previous experience with XML, or any markup language for that matter, so I look forward to becoming more involved with the process through which digital texts are created and how XML needs to be employed for e-books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment