Friday 29 January 2016

Jackson Ossea on the Difference Between a Digitized Representation and a Representation of the Original

           


                                                                 Picture Source

            The digitizer, much like the cataloguer, is in a position of underappreciated authority. A common, mistaken assumption about their profession is that what they do is a simple cut-and-paste job for whichever work needs to change from its original form into the more accessible digits and pixels. In carrying out their profession, they must be precise – making decisions which will accurately reflect whichever artefact they are working on. Their power comes from the understanding that any mistake they make, no matter how insignificant it may seem, becomes fact, distorting, as Sperberg-McQueen would call it, the theory of the artefact which the professionals are trying to represent.
            I had convinced myself of that notion from the materials and theories I had encountered as a student of Library and Information Science, but the thought first began to germinate when I encountered the Senegalese film, Mandabi, as an undergraduate film student. I watched the film in class as a required screening, but what made this screening unique was the format in which we, as a class, watched it.
            To date, Mandabi is the only film I have had to watch for a class which was projected on chemical film. Every other film which was screened for a class was done with a DVD or a Blu-Ray. And while I thought that it was certainly interesting to watch a film which was on – well – film, I didn’t think that there was anything unique or special about the quality of the picture. Nothing about this particular format made it the picture or sound quality noticeably better or authentic like I had heard from countless purists.
            But the day after, when we would re-watch segments of the film and discuss it, a few things became very clear to me. For obvious practical reasons, the clips of the film which we watched again for the purpose of discussion were ripped from the DVD. The first thing that I noticed was different when experiencing the film this time was one which should’ve been obvious before, that the experience of consuming the film through a chemical print was far less interactive than with a DVD. It’s very difficult to pause, rewind, or fast-forward a reel without doing considerable damage to the print. The only way to watch the film would be from beginning to end without pause for whichever reason external to the film.
            The second thing which became obvious was the quality of the image, itself. Like my many peers who were purists for chemical film, I saw how much more compressed the image was when compared to what I had watched yesterday. Many details which I simply observed the day before had now become an obviously pixelated representation, simply a different version of the work which came from what the digitizer believed would best represent the film in digital form.
            The digitizer(s) of films need to be keenly aware of the consequences of the decisions they make when trying to adequately represent the artefact precisely because of the way film, and other traditional media, are increasingly being consumed digitally. The director, Ousemene Sembene, created the film for an audience to be experienced on film. He did not, at the time, anticipate the way in which modern, digital devices would dramatically affect the way in which his work.
Rightly or wrongly, many people choose to watch films, read books, and listen to music this way over their original format. Even I didn’t notice the difference until I had the two different versions which I could immediately compare with each other. It’s possible that, as Walter Benjamin argues, we lose the aura of the original artefact every time we experience a mechanical reproduction and not the original piece itself, but even the chemical film print which I saw was a copy of the original print. Any aura would have been from the form of the object and, while I noticed many disheartening differences from the digital copy of a copy, I don’t doubt that my experience of the film wouldn’t be terribly different had I watched it digitally instead of chemical film.
Still, I earned an appreciation for the work carried out by those who digitize and markup “classic” works for a living. They need to recognize the best way to represent the work in digital form in order to ensure that the experience can be continued, despite the idiosyncrasies of future projection methods. 

            

No comments:

Post a Comment