Friday 22 January 2016

Books for Contemporary Impatience




It was a year ago that someone lent me a copy of a pocket sized little book titled “Introducing Slavoj Zizek, A Graphic Guide” written by Christopher Kul-Want and illustrated by Piero Ferruscci (2011). It was part of a larger series of pocket sized condensations of various Philosopher’s views.

For someone of my temperament, it was a sort of idea-candy, and importantly,  I speak not of it’s content strictly, but very much it’s vehicle of delivery, particularly surrounding its pacing and parsing; it’s form.

Each paged contained a single disquieting notion in a very small paragraph or simply sentence or two, and then a variously grotesque accompanying illustration that took up most of the page.

What stuck me immediately was how unbelievably effortless and frictionless it was to read, and the particularly kind of reading it seemed command of the reader. I spent many years in my undergraduate slogging through primary texts of philosophers, theorists and historians and suppose I had come to expect a certain resistance or threshold of density, a tenor to the activity, yet this book contained none of that. No walls of text. It was almost a sort of comic, and an airy one at that. In truth, compared to my previous experiences, it did not strike me as ‘reading a book’ at all, but in practice, because of it’s slim pacing, seemed more like hitting ‘next’ on some online content churning service (like Digg, back in the day.. or more lately, meme humor sites like 9-gag)

The large instantly perceivable illustrations paired with each tasty tit-bit of thought, provided a great lightness to the pacing, and the limit of 1 concept to a page, or 2 concepts to a leaf, granted an immediate satisfaction of progress and/or consumption of the document. And yet, the book seemed barely based on causality, the pages often not so much building an argument but existing as simply a variety of instances in the constellation of thought of the given philosopher.

I am particularly intrigued by the ‘hit’ of page turning satisfaction, which sometimes seems to exist regardless or even in spite of a book’s content. This Zizek book seemed to maximize this “hit” while abandoning any claims to a coherent building and layering of a concept as might warrant one’s deserved satisfaction of progress. This kind of short-circuited consumption satisfaction, for me, typifies a particularly contemporary mode of digital information/entertainment, where there is always a ‘next’ item regressing into infinity. (e.g the Facebook news-feed)

And yet, this is a genuine ink and paper book which was exploiting, through format, so many of these arguably ‘impatient’ attributes of digital media. I am reminded of Kirschenbaum and Werner’s (2014) notion of modern books as hybrid artifacts that betray the fundamentally intertwined nature of print and the digital.

Regardless of what pure digital incarnations of this book might exist,  
I would tentatively venture to say that the physical form of this book (beyond it’s obviously digital printing etc…) could not have come into being without a consciousness informed by the impatient modalities of the internet. Or it is at least, a spin on an older more graphical and seductively less prolific reading culture that pre-dates thinking in paragraphs, and thinks more through images, maxims, aphorisms, quips, and quotes etc…

For it's lightness, I was surprised by how informed I felt afterwards, and it's content still remains vivid to me. The whole experience has forced me to seriously question the efficacy of many traditional formats of writing Ive encountered, and caused me to wonder whether the needs and expectations of information and communication have shifted dramatically, regardless of the Academy's reliance on a format of thinking and communicating that now strike me as often antique.


-Ben

-----

Kirschenbaum, M. & Werner, S.(2014). Digital Scholarship and Digital Studies: The State of the Discipline. Book History 17(1), 406-458. The Johns Hopkins University Press. Retrieved January 22, 2016, from Project MUSE database.



4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to be so banal, but: "A picture is worth..."

    Best, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, contrary to the "...thousand words" trope, I believe the pictures in these "Graphic guides" do not really contain much content, but serve more as a sort of mental lubricant/ornament to ease and sweeten the consumption of the pithy and strange zingers that abound on the pages.

    -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also tend to enjoy these types of books! This post got me thinking about the nature of these tidbits of information.

    It's interesting that you connected the form of the book to online forms of writing. While I see that, I always think of the traditions of commonplace books and scrapbooks. The idea of compilations has a long tradition. In many ways, the fragmentation of information online is not a new phenomenon (although it is much more extreme).

    The other thought I had was about the short form of presenting Žižek's ideas. I can't help but think that the reason why these syntheses are compelling is because the writers have to work through the long and prolific works of people like Žižek. I think the "impatient" consumption and the necessarily "patient" production might present an interesting contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's interesting for a Zizek book to take on this format because of its informal nature. I've always considered philosophical works to be these dry, dense works where the author things that any sort of visual aid is beneath them.

    As such, I actually think the graphic guides work as much more than decoration. For some readers, the visualization of the idea is more compelling and can even be helpful when trying to properly discern many of Zizk's complicated ideas when his diction isn't always able to do that.

    At least that's what I thought.

    -Jackson

    ReplyDelete