Friday 15 January 2016

From work to text...

Hi All,

I’m a first-year MI student, ARM concentration. I’m also in the Book History and Print Culture program. Having studied medieval history for fun, I’m now at iSchool seeking employable skills. Specifically, in the « Future of the Book » I’d like to learn how the Digital Humanities might be used to facilitate teaching and research.

That said, I’m a wee bit skeptical about what new technologies of the book can accomplish. Sorry, but I’m a product of my past experiences. In studying medieval history, I learned what it is to research. Research entails convincing librarians and archivists that you are worthy of consulting their cultural treasures. It means struggling to read texts in ancient languages buried in weighty tomes. And it often requires racing to transcribe key evidence before the bell rings announcing library closing time. Research has taught me that it is work to learn. For this, I am grateful. But also for this reason, I’m doubtful that electronic texts can truly facilitate significant research and learning. Because what is easy, is not work. And if it is not work, then it is not learning.

However, I’m happy to be convinced otherwise.


Best, Laura  

No comments:

Post a Comment