Monday 18 January 2016

First Blogging Question - The App

I conducted a visit for Grade 4 students at the public library incorporating the use of an iPad to showcase apps the kids could use to enhance their reading experience.
I did this because one of our departmental objectives was to make use of technology in at least one of our story times and/or class visits and primarily because I found one of my favourite children’s stories as an available app in the Apple App Store.
Intrigue led to purchase.
I like to think I made excellent use of our tech. budget when I downloaded ‘The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore’ by William Joyce (U.S. $0.99 – with the Canadian Dollar being quite low, it’s roughly the equivalent of $12)

The printed story itself is delightful and whimsical, offering layers of emotional depth in a way that struck me as quite marvellous. The illustrations are lovingly created and one can feel themselves part of the enchanting narrative. ‘The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore’  falls into the genre, ‘Books about Books’ highlighting the timeless joy Mr. Lessmore derives from the pleasurable act of reading, repairing and, most importantly, be-friending his treasured books who become his companions throughout his life until his elegantly illustrated death.

Prior to opening the app I was sceptical at first; I believed stories ought to be read to children from physical books with pages that rustle comfortingly when you turn them, but much to my delight the app surpassed anything I could imagine.

The form of digitizing this particular book into an app effected the meaning of the story in a way that struck me as interesting given the nature of the message of the book. Being able to control the speed of the tornado into which Mr. Lessmore is flung into, to swirl your finger and control the flow of seasons, to play a keyboard piano to ‘Pop Goes the Weasel' as part of the story, to fly through the pages of a book and even play library cupid and match little readers to classical stories, to partake in the story within a story through the use of media was an illuminating experience and one that I would recommend to others.

Also, to witness first-hand the play of emotions that crossed the students’ faces was the icing on the cheesecake. They were unable to conceive the level of interaction available in a story beyond the physical pages of a book, and while one can argue that imagination is the primary factor that elevates one’s senses while reading, having the ability to control the character’s physical movements within the story is another thrill altogether and does not limit the reader to reading in a traditional sense. 

This allows for a point worth pondering, are we still considered readers if we are exploring books through apps and other forms of digital media?

To play and partake in a story that encourages play and participation broke down the barriers of my not-so-hipster scepticism and encouraged me to think of story time in a new light where we aren't limited to books and paper but rather our imaginations are open to a variety of resources available. 



~ Fareh 

No comments:

Post a Comment