Friday 18 March 2016

Week 9 Response - The Adult Colouring Book

The subject matter of my paper will be based on the current and recent rise of the adult colouring book. Walk into any bookstore now or even purchasing online, I guarantee you will find a section dedicated just to adult colouring books (Indigo, 2016). This is an interesting topic to explore as it could go on many different directions, but primarily my focus will center on how adult colouring books challenge the category of children’s books, in relation to how it has been integrated and adapted digitally.

Image from Secret Garden colouring book by Johanna Basford


Such books can contain complex and intricate designs that could take hours or even days to colour, which therefore might pose a challenge or a level of difficulty than normal colouring books for children. But overall, colouring books are a unique form of category especially for adults, as they can be used for therapeutic purposes and as a type of leisurely activity.

- Raquel


Sources & Image:

Johanna Basford. (2016). Secret Garden. Retrieved from http://www.johannabasford.com/book/4

Indigo. (2016). Adult Colouring Books. Retrieved from https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/colouring-books 


2 comments:

  1. Ah I own 2 copies of adult colouring books and use them specifically for this purpose: therapy and relaxing sipping a cup of tea and listening to some music. The positive effects I have been noticing in both my mind and body is incredible. Increased attention span, creativity, fresher mornings, lets knots in my shoulders. Maybe it's a subconscious thing...but I honestly believe that engaging in colouring by using our hands and doing the repetitive motions have a soothing and natural feel - something we aren't used to in the current digital era.
    Madiha Zahra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a mother and when my daughter was young I freely engaged in colouring and doing all sorts of crafts with her. We still have bins full of left-over craft materials. While I valued the time spent with my daughter, it was also hugely relaxing and entertaining. However, I can admit that I would not know go out a purchase a colouring book for myself, whether on account of the expense or a sense of adult pride, I don't know. It's a shame really. Best, Laura

    ReplyDelete