Friday 18 March 2016

Hyperlinks.... Again!

Picture Source


           As I’ve repeated twice now in previous posts, I have a strong interest in the way hyperlinks have changed the way we read. Because I consume the majority of my written news (newspapers, magazines) electronically through my phone or whichever other devices I may be using, I am frequently confronted by the articles hyperlinks, leaving me a click away from confronting the writer’s research – or sometimes another article from the same publication which previously made the same point.

            But beyond the sphere of journalism, hyperlinks have dramatically changed the way we approach, research, citations, and the discipline of bibliography. Just recently, the reading list from our class included Whitney Trettien’s article, “A Deep History of Electronic Textuality,” which was published in Digital Humanities Quarterly. Throughout the article, the author places their citations in their appropriate places as if it were a traditional academic paper. Digital Humanities Quarterly is an esteemed academic journal so it only makes sense for that to be the case.

The difference is that the citations are also hyperlinks, themselves. Trettien’s article is not the only example of this phenomenon, where the writer still adheres to the traditional guidelines of bibliography while also embracing the models within digital publishing which could possibly make proper citation’s obsolete. Personally, I do not think that hyperlinks are acting towards the obsolescence of traditional citations, but it is incontrovertible that they have changed the way which research is recorded within the final essay.

My final research paper will be exploring the ways hyperlinks have affected all types of writing with a specific emphasis on academic writing. It’s with the work of academics that we readers have the highest expectations for the ways in which the rules of bibliography and whichever citation style are followed. But we are more often running into examples where hyperlinks are being used as a replacement for what we’re already familiar with, and the result is that the reader now has more immediate access to the research than they previously had.


I’m interested in exploring how this access and usage will change bibliography and citations in an academic field. At the moment, I’m researching the ways in which hyperlinks are used with classics texts, but I will no way limit myself to the works of the ancients. The interest in the ancients is in seeing how using digital tools for literally ancient texts has affected the quality of research as well as the idiosyncrasies allowed by using hyperlinks.

-Jackson Ossea

No comments:

Post a Comment