Friday 18 March 2016

Week 9: Inklings more than anything

I am at this point undecided about what I would like to write about in the final paper. However, I have been thinking about it and do a few inklings. Book Thug, a Toronto based book publishing company, has introduced a PoemBot to their website. 

Can you identify the line in this poem that I wrote?







They are inviting the website visitor to create a poem by typing in a line of text, from 3 - 128 characters, choose how many lines you want your poem to be, “create your poem, and then your line of text is mixed with text taken from Book Thug published authors to create a poem. I’m intrigued by human-machine output of objects/texts and the questions that arise from that about digital technology mediated text, authorship, and so forth. At this point it is an thought that needs to be fleshed out. 

These are the the books the lines of the poem
 were taken from. 
Interestingly, I actually
own one of these books. 
While I haven’t committed to this as a topic just yet, this is what I’m contemplating.


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting topic to write about for the final paper! From what you've described about Book Thug, it definitely puts a unique perspective on digital publishing that is more direct and using text from already published work. This obviously begs the question of new "authorship" in terms of mixing published, copyrighted text from authors along with your very own. - Raquel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also discussing linking for my final paper - hyperlinks specifically. I find it interesting how they act as both promotional tools for other pages as well as a substitute for academic citations and bibliography.

    -Jackson

    ReplyDelete